Internet is not accessible everywhere on the Peninsula
10 - Swyers Hill School, Bonavista
HOURS:10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Constructed in 1880 as the Bailey’s Cove Church of England School was a one-room schoolhouse that operated until the 1940s. Following its closing, the building was purchased by J.T. Swyers Co. Ltd. who donated it to the Bonavista Recreation Youth Association in the 1990s. Renovation has begun on the exterior of the building with further plans to restore the interior to represent “Newfoundland’s first school house” erected by Anglican missionary Henry Jones in 1727. The school was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by The Heritage Foundation in 1997.